Thursday, August 11, 2005

but are they hiring?

It's weird, asking a place if they are hiring. I feel like an imposter. And I feel old. When did that happen? And would it be that very strange to have a boss that is young enough to be my kid, if I was having kids at 11 that is?

I'm looking for part-time work. Basically, some no-brainer job that brings in a little extra cash so we can save for a downpayment on a house. I'm thinking Starbucks or one of the many hotels in the Coeur d'Alene area. But walking into the Starbucks here, I realize how so uncool I really am. All the kids (emphasis on kids) working behind the counter are just so...you know. With it. They wear the latest fashions, listen to the newest music. And here I am, a mother to two small children, married, approaching my thirties at a frightening speed. Do I really think I can work with these young people? I feel like I did on the first day of high school, a time I would rather forget.

I hated high school, which I think most people did. I hated trying so hard to make sure everyone liked me. Hated worrying about the clothes I couldn't afford to buy and wondering if anyone would notice that I was wearing a knockoff pair of jeans. Really, why would I want to throw myself back into an atmosphere like that again. An atmosphere where this time I know I'm not cool, not wearing the right thing, not saying the right thing. Where every night the kids just roll their eyes and exclaim that I'm too old to understand (have I really gotten to that point already?).

Well, money is money and the really question is: how badly do I need it to subject myself to the kind of headtrip I'm already starting with myself? Not that bad. Which is why I'm applying for a job cleaning a daycare after hours. That way I don't have to deal with people and I get to do what I now do best. Clean up after little people.

6 comments:

Taylor said...

I know the feeling! I even hate going to the mall and being around all of those young annoying people - and I am only 21! LOL!

Linda said...

I know how you feel. I used to be the youngest one in my dept and now I am one of the older ones. When did that happen...LOL.

Good luck with your cleaning job!!

Unknown said...

I know that feeling of dread when it comes to dealing with HS kids. Why do I still let them intimidate me?! I'm 6-10 years older than them, a mother, and an attorney for god's sake! But I still feel like that little 15 year old with braces everytime.

You'll find a job. Remember, you are more mature and responsible than them, and you have a vested interest in keeping a job beyond keeping yourself in gas and slutty clothes from Forever 21.

Ana D. said...

It's amazing how the years seem to roll by after turning 20! At 25, I already resent looking at young perky 20 year olds who think they will somehow be different. Kid, we were all like you at that age...

Miles' parents said...

You're only "approaching" 30? Girl, you are NOT even close to old! Don't let the kids intimidate you. Good luck on the job search!

Me said...

Ugh, I know exactly what you're talking about. I worked at a job cleaning after house w/ a bunch of high schoolers. At the time I was only 22 and they made me feel like I was fricken 30. What the heck is that about??!!

Sounds like this after hours cleaning is perfect! Good luck w/ it!

By the way, I changed my blog addy. It's now wethyb.blogspot

Have a great rest of the week!